Getting braces can be a huge adjustment. Not only do you have to get used to something foreign being in your mouth, but for the foreseeable future, you will need to eat differently and care for your teeth differently. As long as you learn the right way to care for your braces, you are in store for a straight, beautiful smile! As you take on this long-term commitment, here are some tips to help keep you on the right track.
The Best Ways To Care for Your Braces
At Howell Orthodontics, we aren’t just committed to a comfortable experience and successful outcome during your journey with braces, but we want to help you learn the best way to care for them so your results will last a lifetime!
Clean Your Teeth
- With braces, it is important to brush your teeth after every meal with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Floss using a Waterpik at least once a day, but if possible after eating. Make sure to get in between your teeth and underneath the wires of your braces. If flossing with regular strong floss, never pull up on the floss while it’s under your braces.
- Rinse your mouth with water after eating to keep food from settling on your braces.
Eating With Braces
Eating with braces can be the biggest struggle for many patients, but by avoiding some of the advice about the foods below you can be sure to add to your orthodontic success.
Stay away from sticky and starchy foods that could get stuck on your braces, such as:
- Toffee and caramel
- White bread
- Potato chips
- Peanut butter
- Chewing gum
Don’t eat hard foods that could break your braces if you bite them, like:
- Raw vegetables
- Ice cubes
Avoid foods and beverages that could stain your teeth, including:
- Coffee and black tea
- Red wine (if you’re over 21)
- Dark berries
- Cola flavored sodas
- Sports drinks with food dye
General Braces Care
Doing the best you can to care for your braces at home will help your overall success, but it is also essential to follow up with your orthodontist at Howell Orthodontics for any emergencies or troubles and for routine check-ups. In general, we advise to:
- Carefully follow all of the instructions that the orthodontist gave you.
- Never miss a checkup or dental cleaning! Going to all your scheduled appointments is essential for making sure that your braces fit well and are working correctly.
- Schedule an extra cleaning with an oral hygienist.
Your Trusted Meridian Orthodontist
If you ever break your braces, or experience severe tooth pain, call your orthodontist’s office right away. If you are ready to schedule your initial consultation or you have braces and you need an appointment, please schedule today at one of our two convenient office locations.